Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Hippie Party

My daughter would have been a wonderful flower child, had she been born in the sixties instead of 2000, so it was no surprise when she told me that she wanted a "hippie/groovy" theme for her eleventh birthday party. Like any good mother, I took her to the party store and bought the themed paper goods:  plates, napkins, cups, table cloth, etc.  We also thought an enjoyable and theme-appropriate activity would be to tie-dye bandannas.  Off to the craft store we went, in search of plain white bandannas and tie-dye materials.  On the invitations, we told the children to come in sixties-themed clothing.The kids had a great time, and the tie-dyeing wasn't as messy as we had thought it would be.   The tie-dyed peace-sign cake that my niece made was also a big hit.   I took a lot of pictures, and I made the two-page layout below with some of them.

 

I decided to use black cardstock by American Crafts as my base.  I knew that I was going to use very bright, vibrant colors in my patterned paper, and I wanted the colors to stand out.  For the title, I used various acrylic paints to embellish chipboard letters like these from We R Memory Keepers.  I cut the embellishments from the party bags using my Cricut Expression. To make them shiny, I applied a coat of Diamond Glaze by JudiKins.  A decorative border, punched with a Martha Stewart border punch, completed the funky look that I was trying to create.Try adding some "groovy" touches to your child's next birthday party.  You don't have to make the theme a "hippie" style.  You can incorporate colorful products to make any party lively and fun. 

No comments: